Gas installations in your home

Gas Certificate of Conformity

gas certificate

Gas certificates

Many homeowners have installed gas appliances due to high electricity costs. However, homeowners must comply with specific regulations which relate to safe installations, Gas Certificates of Conformity and South African National Standards.

Appliances must conform to the relevant SABS standard (SANS 1539).

As from 2009, the Occupation Health and Safety Act (No 85 of 1993) requires that all gas installations must have a Gas Certificate of Conformity! This applies to all permanent installations such as gas fires, hobs, stoves and braais. After an installation has been inspected a Gas CoC is issued if it is safe and leak-free.

Authorised installers registered with the Liquefied Petroleum Gas Safety Association of Southern Africa (LPGSASA) issue certificates.

Any homeowner who has a liquefied petroleum gas (LPGas) appliance installed in their home must have this certificate.

Home insurance

Gas appliances that leak could have major health implications for a family. Not to mention the huge danger of an explosion.

If you don’t have this gas certificate an insurance company will repudiate claims. This could have severe financial repercussions for you. Such an inspection is essential for your insurance policy to remain valid. Moreover, an inspection will ensure that the installation is safe and your family is not at risk.

When you sell your home. you are required to hand over the gas certificate to the new purchaser.

Safety service checks

If you smell gas or suspect your gas appliance is leaking turn off the appliance immediately. In addition, open all the doors and windows to air the room and shut off the gas supply at the control valve. Before you use it again, have it checked by a registered gas installer.

Have a registered gas installer perform an annual service check to ensure your gas installations remain in working order. Go to either the LPGSASA website or the SAQCCGAS website for a list of registered gas installers near you.


Inspected Once, Inspected Right!®


THE HOME DETECTIVE » gas certificate

Certificates of Compliance

compliance certificates

Compliance Certificates (Coc’s)

The addition of the Certificates of Compliance required by law further complicates the selling process. However, they indemnify you and safeguard the purchaser’s investment and ensure safety.

Get a FREE Quote NOW!

Compliance Certificates Explained

Selling a home is not a simple process. Usually, months will pass before the transaction is complete. To expedite the process it is best to deal with the details such as compliance certificates as early as possible, lest these turn into stumbling blocks.

Begin the compliance process early, especially for older homes. Repair faults, e.g. worn wiring, tripping circuit breakers, faulty wall plugs etc.

Your home should look its best when you put it on the market. Therefore, a lick of paint and a tidy garden are important. But, the required Certificates of Compliance (COCs) are even more important. These include the latest approved drawings for the house and an occupation certificate. If you don’t have either you might be able to get both from your local municipal inspectorate.

For extensions or alterations made to the home ensure you have an occupation certificate issued to you by the municipality. The occupation certificate certifies that the alterations conform to the national building regulations and municipal bylaws.

Don’t cause delays

Only the transfer of legally compliant property can be done. This means that the transferring attorney must have all the relevant Certificates of Compliance before the transfer can take place.

The new legislation requires a gas certificate and electric fence certificate (where applicable), in addition to the electrical certificate of compliance. The Cape Town Municipality requires plumbing and water certificates. A beetle certificate is required in older houses mostly in coastal areas.

Geyser compliance

Some banks and insurance companies require a geyser compliance certificate. This may be part of the requirements by the bank for payment of the buyer’s bond.

Each of these usually costs between R1000 and R1500 if nothing needs to be repaired or fixed. Normally it takes only a few days to get these if all is in order.

You may have to have repairs done to ensure that these certificates can be issued. If you do not do this on time the transfer will be delayed.

Compliance before you list

You must start the compliance process before you put your home on the market. Be aware that all banks require certificates of compliance; They will not pay out the buyer’s bond without them. They are also required for the transfer of ownership to take place

Older Homes

It is incumbent on the seller to ensure that the Occupancy Certificates and the council-approved plans are current.

In older homes, the electrical system may fall into disrepair (worn wiring, eroded conductors, faulty wall plugs etc.). Doing repairs yourself, or utilizing unskilled contractors is not the answer. This may result in an unsafe installation.

Regular maintenance

Regular maintenance is a lot cheaper than remedial work. The cost difference can easily be in the thousands of Rands.

Safety first

Test components such as earth leakage regularly. Attend to electrical faults, and electrical wear and tear immediately.

The addition of the Certificates of Compliance further complicates the selling process. However, they indemnify you as well as safeguard the purchaser’s investment and ensure safety.

Check regulatory requirements.

Not all service providers are honest. If a quote appears excessive to you, get another one. It is always good to get a second opinion, as some contractors might load their quotes with unnecessary work.

Get a FREE Quote NOW!

 Inspected Once, Inspected Right!®


THE HOME DETECTIVE » gas certificate

error: Content is protected !!